GIS Data Sources and Tools
Government Data - National
- GeoGratis is a portal provided by the Earth Sciences Sector (ESS) of Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) which provides geospatial data at no cost and without restrictions, including data files used in the Atlas of Canada.
- GeoBase is a federal, provincial and territorial government initiative that allows access to quality geospatial information at no cost and with unrestricted use, including the National Road Network.
- GeoConnections is a national initiative led by Natural Resources Canada, which supports the integration and use of the Canadian Geospatial Data Infrastructure (CGDI).
- Data Agri-Geomatics Programs and Services (Agriculture and Agri-foods Canada): Geospatial decision tools and agri-environmental information are provided to support local and regional land-use planning and management.
Government Data - Provincial
- GeoDiscover Alberta
- Manitoba Land Initiative
- Land Information Ontario
- Géoboutique Québec
- Service New Brunswick
- Government of Prince Edward Island
- Environment Yukon Geomatics
- Northwest Territories Centre for Geomatics
Other Data Resources
- The Commission for Environmental Cooperation provides the data layers of the North American Environmental Atlas.
- The Conservation Areas Reporting and Tracking System (CARTS) provides detailed spatial data on protected areas across Canada.
- Data Basin is a free system that connects you with spatial datasets, non-technical tools, and a network of scientists and practitioners across North America.
- The Global Land Cover Facility (University of Maryland) provides earth science data and products to help everyone to better understand global environmental systems. In particular, the GLCF develops and distributes remotely sensed satellite data and products that explain land cover from the local to global scales.
USGS' EarthExplorer tool provides users the ability to query, search, and order satellite images, aerial photographs, and cartographic products from several sources.